Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Those Darn Spots!

I'll be the first to admit it. I do not have perfect skin. I have suffered from severe acne since I was a teen. My mom took me to a doctor for it when I was a freshman in high school. I've used everything from Clearasil, Oxy Pads, oral antibiotics, topical solutions prescribed by doctors, and yes, even Pro-Active. The funny thing is that not all of these things worked so well for me. Over the years my acne has cleared up quite a bit. I break out more during the winter time due to extremely dry skin. Getting older doesn't help either, but it doesn't bother me.

I used to sit there when I was younger and see pictures in magazines of these girls with flawless skin, and wished that I looked like them. Now that I'm a little older and wiser, I look at these magazines and laugh when I'm at the store. I know the pictures are touched up, and airbrushed because the young girls and women have a image to maintain. I've also found a few things out that work for me as well. So here's to all of us real girls that have the same issue: What is it going take to get rid of this pimple?!

Exfoliate - You many not realize it, but even though we all wash our face in the morning, and before we go to bed, we don't remove the many layers of dead skin on our face. This is on of the many things can clog our pores and create breakouts. Exfoliating after you cleanse your face twice a week can help remove the dead skin. Don't know what to use? My picks are a are basic sugar scrub that you can make at home with extra virgin olive oil, all natural sugar (like Florida Crystals) and honey, L'oreals Microdermabrasion Kit, and Roc Daily Exfoliating Pads (i only use them at night).

Masks -
I've never really been big on the whole face mask thing. To me they're just messy, and I admit, I have a little bit of an issue with funny smells and what goes in them. I use the Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask (available at Walmart, Sally's Beauty Supply, and some drug stores). Not only is this stuff fairly priced, but it smells AMAZING! And when you wipe it off, your face feels cool and refreshed. I use it 2-3 times a week.

Tea Tree Oil - Got one of those stubborn, painful, cystic pimples? This stuff has both anti-bacterial AND ant-fungal properties! After cleansing your face, grab a cotton swab and dip it into the bottle. Dab on to the affected area. I found that it helps reduce the size of my pimples (some pretty quickly, some in a few days). Just make sure your not sensitive to this sort of stuff so you don't get an allergic reaction! Everyone's skin is different, I'm just sharing what works for me.

Always Use A Clean Towel - This is just my preference. I always use a clean towel every time I wash my face. Think about it, you dry your face with a clean towel. The towel is damp, it hangs and air dries in your bathroom, and what ever was on your face is now on the towel. YUCK!

Diet - You know the old saying "You are what you eat". I stick with lots of fresh fruits, veggies, and water. Don't get me wrong, I still splurge on the occasional burger and fries, or ice cream and junk food. I just take into consideration that if I want to keep my skin healthy, I should eat healthy to.

Well that's pretty much it. I'm not a doctor, or any kind of professional. Just one of the girls passing on what I do, and have learned in the past, to all of you! Even though this doesn't cure acne, I found that for me, this helps keep it under control. Hope this helps all of you, and please keep in mind that if you're REALLY struggling with acne, and it's not getting any better, PLEASE SEEK a medical opinion. Again, what may have not worked for me, may work for you. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment