Friday, March 11, 2011

Skin Care 101

Your skin.  We think washing it and moisturizing is enough, but is it?  

For me skin care is very important (especially since I just turned 30 last October).  In the past skin care was never on my priority list of things to do in my a.m and p.m. ritual.  I would just wash my face, brush my teeth, and go about my business.  What made me change this routine?  All the reports on skin damage from the sun, seeing girls who were tanorexic and used tanning beds so much their skin looked orange.  But the main thing that really made me change was when I was at the mall one day, and the lady behind me in line started talking to me.  I thought she was at least in in her 40's (and reeked of cigarettes).  I was wrong, she was in her early 30's! It was shocking to think that without proper skin care a person can actually make themselves look significantly older then their actual age!

There are so many things out in the world to day that can damage our skin.  Pollution, free radicals, the sun, and many more.  If you want great looking skin prevention is key.  Look at your skin care routine as a investment.  You are investing in healthier skin, and a more confident you. 

Cleansing - This should be done twice a day every day.  Since everyone's skin type is different, find one that best suits  your needs.  I use Lancome's Gel Radiance Clarifying Cleanser.


Exfoliate - Exfoliating should be done twice a week.  Don't know what to use?  Try a sugar scrub or a exfoliating scrub! 


Tone -  Even with washing and exfoliating, there's still going to be some residue left behind.  Using a good toner after you cleanse your face is a good way to pick up whatever has been missed.  I use Origins Purifying Tonic for a fresh face!


Masks - Use twice a week.  There are so many different masks out there for all sorts of skin types.  I like the paper masks which are not popular.  They're infused with serums. Put them on after cleansing and toning, leave them on for about 20 min, take them off, and then massage the serum that's been left on your face into your skin! 


Serums -  A great pre-mosturizer treatment used every day! My picks are the Lancome Genfique Serum, and Lancome's High Resolution Collaser-5x.  I use both every day.  The difference:  Genefique is a thin water based serum.  I apply 4 drops, warm it up with my hands a bit, and then PAT IT ON.  Collaser-5x is more of a morsturizing serum.  A little bit goes a long way.  Warm it up on on your finger tips and massage into your skin with finger tips!  


Eye Creams - There are so many different eye creams. The key is to find one that best suits your needs.  For instance, I have dark circles and puffiness.  So I use Genefique Eye Concentrate and Roc Multi-Correxion Eye Cream.  When using them a little bit goes a long way.  Dot a few dots around your eyes and then pat it in using your ring finger.  The reason why you use your ring finger is because it uses the least amount of pressure.  Do not pull around the eye area because that will cause premature aging around your eyes.

Moistruizers - It's very important to keep your skin moisturized.  The key thing is the make sure your day cream has a SPF formula in it to protect you from the damaging effects of the sun.  Night creams tend to be a little thicker than a day cream because your skin loses a lot of moisture when you sleep.  Skin a little oily?  Try using a moisturizing day and night lotion instead.


Sunblock - We all know that the sun can reek havoc on our skin.  Prolonged exposure to the sun (over time) without proper protection can lead to premature aging of the skin (fine lines and wrinkles), sun spots, freckles, and even hyper pigmentation.  Even though day creams have a SPF (Sun Protection Factor) already in it, it's important to still apply sun block not only to your face but also to our body.  I apply sunblock 30 min before heading out the door so it has time to sink in.  Make sure to apply every 2 hours.  Wearing makeup?  Try IQUU's Advanced Suncreen! This stuff can actually go over makeup!


Even though this may seem like a long drawn out process just to take care of our skin, it will pay off in the end.  Your skin will be healthy, and you'll be happy.  I've provided links below for those interested in checking out some of the products I've mentioned.  So make it a habit, make time for yourself, and think of this as your at home spa facial treatment.  You'd be suprised at the results that you get! 


www.iqqubeauty.com
www.lancome-usa.com
www.origins.com

No comments:

Post a Comment